Polyglot Theatre is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and recognises their role as vital and active participants in the organisation. We involve children when making decisions as collaborators, instigators and audience. Our work exists to give children the power to be in control. Polyglot encourages children to express their views on safety and harm, and in turn we listen to and respect what they have to say, especially about matters that directly affect them. Polyglot recognises that all children have a right to feel safe and upholds zero tolerance for child abuse.
In the current climate of social distancing, Polyglot has created Voice Lab online – a curious computer that pays close attention to what children think, feel and say. We are aware of the risks that this can present, and the concerns that parents and children may have when interacting with an online experience. Polyglot is a Child Safe organisation, and is governed by a comprehensive and proactive Child Safe Policy. This policy is at the heart of Voice Lab online, and has steered every decision made in the creation of Voice Lab online.
With that in mind, Voice Lab online is committed to:
- Promoting the safety, participation and empowerment of all children. Polyglot believes in the power of the arts to transform children’s lives, fuelling imagination, ambition and creativity in a safe and supportive environment.
- Ensuring all staff and artists are aware of acceptable and unacceptable forms of online and phone contact with children and young people as per the organisation’s Code of Conduct and Child Safe Policy.
- Ensuring all staff are aware of any reporting obligations in relation to concerns or allegations of child abuse under Victorian Law.
- Creating a private and safe space which is exclusively accessible to those participating in Voice Lab online and Polyglot staff.
- A zero tolerance rule for content that is offensive and inappropriate in any way, and which goes against the supportive and collaborative spirit with which Polyglot operates.
- Ensuring that all contact between Voice Lab online and the child participant is monitored and any inappropriate conduct immediately stopped and brought to the attention of Polyglot’s Child Safety Officers.
- Creating age appropriate content, and asking age appropriate questions, for all participants.
- Using a platform which has been carefully selected for its use of privacy and security settings, and with child safety in mind. Voice Lab online is a custom app which operates off of Zoom.
- Providing clear and accessible information to parents and children about procedures in using Voice Lab online.
- If emailing, contacting children through parents/carers only.
- Obtaining consent from children and young people and their parents or carers for any use of their images or personal information online.
- Always having two adults (Polyglot artists or staff) present unless there is direct permission from parents/carers to do otherwise.
- Creating clear and accessible instructions for engaging with Voice Lab online.
- Storing any recordings safely, securely and confidentially. All data collected by Voice Lab online will be recorded in the Zoom platform and downloaded to Polyglot’s private server and a dedicated Voice Lab online hard drive. These recordings and associated information will not be shared outside the organisation.
- In the case of any data being shared, ensuring that all children are de-identified so that the child’s name is not connected to that data.
- Providing a clear reporting process for children or parents/carers with concerns about any content or behaviour during their interaction with the online platform.
Direct communication with Polyglot staff about any of the above, or any concerns about child safety during Polyglot’s sessions should be made to:
Lexie Wood, Project Manager – Voice Lab online email@example.com or 0408 490 890
Sue Giles, Artistic Director/co-CEO firstname.lastname@example.org
Kath Fyffe, General Manager email@example.com